Extension of the deadlines for filing the VAT returns and tax payments
On 17 February 2021, the Portuguese Tax Authorities have published a circular which extends the deadline for the submission of VAT returns, as follows:
|VAT returns with monthly periodicity||Deadline for submission|
|December 2020||February 24, 2021|
|January 2021||March 22, 2021|
|February 2021||April 20, 2021|
|March 2021||May 20, 2021|
|VAT returns with quarterly periodicity||Deadline for submission|
|4th quarter of 2020||February 24, 2021|
|1st quarter of 2021||May 20, 2021|
Moreover, the deadline for payment of the tax has also been extended, in the following terms:
|VAT returns with monthly periodicity||Deadline for payment|
|December 2020||March 1, 2021|
|January 2021||March 25, 2021|
|February 2021||April 26, 2021|
|March 2021||May 25, 2021|
|VAT returns with quarterly periodicity||Deadline for payment|
|4th quarter of 2020||March 1, 2021|
|1st quarter of 2021||May 25, 2021|
Click HERE to access the circular.
Considering the coronavirus outbreak the Government adopted destined at relieving the tax pressure.
The following measures have been adopted:
– suspension of tax enforcement proceedings in progress or to be initiated by the Tax and Social Security Authorities between January 1 and March 31, 2021;
– suspension of ongoing instalment plans regarding debts to Social Security which are not part of the enforcement proceedings (without prejudice to their continued fulfilment at the debtor’s initiative);
– Tax Authorities prevented from setting up guarantees in the context of tax enforcement proceedings during the above-mentioned period;
– Tax authorities prevented from offsetting the debtor’s credits resulting from reimbursement, proceedings for review, administrative complaint or judicial appeal on the debtor’s debts;
– Suspension of the statute of limitation in respect of tax enforcement proceedings in progress or to be initiated.
Click HERE to see the order.